[vorbis] Beta4 better than RC2 and RC3 ???

Zvezdan Dimitrijevic zvezdand at anoxsoft.net
Fri Jan 18 01:56:58 PST 2002

Hello,

I hope you won't mind if I give you mine opinion and suggestions about
Vorbis audio encoder, especially new version.

I was pretty satisfied with the quality of Beta4 encoder. For a bitrates
around 112 to 128 kb/s I consider it better then any other audio
compression formats (MP3, AAC, ...) at same bitrate. Sound quality that
this version produces with bitrates below 112 kb/s was not satisfied me,
so I look forward to any new version.

I am sorry to say that RC2 and RC3 version gives less quality sound then
mentioned Beta4. I done extensive audio tests on a quality hi-end audio
equipment. I was testing 96, 112 and 128 kb/s because that bitrates are
only interesting me. During testing RC3 version I used -q, same as -b
option.

Sound degradation is in all sound samples that I tested. Compared to
Beta4, it is manifesting in absence or attenuation of high frequencies.
At first I was thinking that problem with a new version is because of
low-pass filter not existed in a Beta4 version. With intention to verify
that I took CoolEdit to cut off frequencies above 16 kHz in original Wav
files. But, when I listen such obtained Wav files I don't hear any
difference compared to original Wav files.

If it can be of further assistance maybe I can send to you some of my
test samples.

Best regards,
Zvezdan