[vorbis] ReplayGain support for Vorbis

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Thu Jan 17 04:49:55 PST 2002

On 2002-01-16, Monty wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 04:08:40PM +0200, Beni Cherniavksy wrote:
>
> > You can also use ID3 tags but I'm sure you don't want to...  Also I'm not
> > sure whether they are supported when framing flac in Ogg.  I think Josh
> > considered adopting Ogg framing and/or vorbis comments (currently it just
> > wraps the flac vebratim in ogg, AFAIK).
>
> An Ogg transport stream is to be considered inviolate.  id3 and id3v2
> are a violation of spec that the current code can unfortunately mostly
> tolerate (although probably with the occasional lost/corrupted page),
> but will also invite smackdown from Xiph.org.
>
> Monty

Sure.  I didn't suggest to add the the ID3 to the ogg.  I meant (but I
don't suggest :) adding the ID3 to the FLAC (which is presumably legal),
and wrapping them both in the ogg - the id3 is then inside the packets,
doesn't violate the Ogg and invisible to mostly any progam.  It sounds
like a thing that Ogg FLAC should support if the idea is indeed to simply
wrap any legal FLAC stream in Ogg (but I wouldn't support it if I were
FLAC's author - and I don't know whether he does).

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)