[vorbis] RC3: I'm impressed

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Tue Jan 15 17:23:58 PST 2002

On Wednesday 16 January 2002 14:10, Wilson wrote:
> [...]

Pentiums, P-IIs, K6's of various sorts. Maybe I should have said 'pre'.
Basically, all the pentiums and k6s I've used tend to struggle to keep the
decoding buffer full, particularly if there's any other CPU intensive work
going on. The MP3 decoder only had problems if the disk IO was saturated, and
had no trouble catching up if it wasn't. These problems vanished when I went
up to a Duron, and I know other people who've had more reliable performance
after going to a Duron or Celeron of one form or another.

Admittedly, a box like this used as a dedicated jukebox will probably have
not problem, but it does tend to add up when you've a lot of channels,
streaming media and a game engine running at the same time.

This is all just hot air anyway; I'm sure the people who will do/are doing
the actual optimization work have there priorities in the right order.

John