[vorbis] Re: UTF8, vorbiscomment, oggenc, and 'vcedit.c'

Glenn Maynard g_ogg at zewt.org
Mon Jan 14 14:19:53 PST 2002

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 12:33:57PM -0500, Peter Harris wrote:
> Actually, it's a UNICODEism. It's optional, but it's in the spec.

It's an anti-POSIX-ism, however, and only actively used in Win32.

> > How about this: read it in the current locale.  If a program (ie a
> > script) wants to call it with UTF-8 data, it can change the locale to
> > UTF-8 for that call.  That way, it works like every other modern locale-
> > sensitive package, and isn't an exception.
>
> Sounds like a good default for files without a BOM (Byte Order Mark).

Supporting it is fine, since most people in Unix would never know the
difference.  Be careful, however, not to *recommend* it in Unix.  The
only real use I could see for it in Unix is for internally UTF-8
programs shelling out to this (and they'd be as well off setting
LC_CTYPE.)

--
Glenn Maynard