[vorbis] Removing Vorbis tags

Ross Vandegrift ross at willow.seitz.com
Mon Jan 14 11:02:20 PST 2002

> How about deciding about a standard format for stand-alone files that
> contain only the tags.  vorbiscomment would write to the separate file if
> instructed (an option), ogginfo would always look for such a file.
> When finished doing many updates of the tags, you would call vorbiscomment
> with yet another option that writes from these cache files to the oggs
> themeselves.  You can already do this yourself with vorbiscomment but
> ogginfo ignores it.  Most software should support such a scheme to make it
> useful.  Also, in such a case the format should not have any limitations
> (e.g. linefeeds in comments - does vorbiscomment handle them?).  There are
> laso problems with multi-chapter ogg files.
>
> Really, a little padding in the comment field for direct write-overs would
> be ideal.  Is this possible with the format?

It is but it's pointless.  The way the current code works causes the complete
bitstream to be wrtten to disk an extra time for each tag update.  Though I
haven't looked at the id3ed source, I suspect it's so fast because it can open
an mp3, read in the tag, modify the tag, and spit the changes back into the same
file.  vorbiscomment can't do that because vcedit_write () needs to do a
complete copy of the whole bitstream.

Is it possible with the current format to actually modify the tag of an Ogg
file, instead of writing a new tag to a new copy an Ogg?  I'd be willing to hack
together a tool to do this.

Ross Vandegrift
ross at willow.seitz.com