[vorbis] Win32 All-UTF8 oggenc.exe

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Mon Jan 14 09:31:45 PST 2002

> > I have modified oggenc to use UTF-8 directly translated from
> > Windows UCS2. What does this mean? Simple. oggenc.exe now works
> > with _everything_. Even characters that show up as '?' on the
> > command line are recovered intact, and show up just fine in
> > WinAMP (eg: The Euro symbol.)
>
> What does the official 'oggenc' do, exactly?  Doesn't it already
> do UTF-8?

Yes, but it does UTF-8 from the 8-bit Windows ANSI code page. If you want to
use tags that have characters outside your default code page, you're out of
luck.

The patched version allows any and all characters from the 16-bit UCS2
character set. Now that UNICODE is 31-bit, that's still not every possible
character. However, it's the best we can do on Windows.

> So, to sum it up, I have two questions:
> 1. Is there any way to get ISO-8859-1 characters in ogg files?
> 2. What character set is used in tags (in ogg files)?  Is it OS
> dependent?

Tags in ogg files are _always_ in UTF8. My patch expands the command line on
Windows NT/2000/XP from a small default to a larger set of possibilities.

My patch currently breaks on Win9x. I'm working on fixing that.

Peter Harris