[vorbis] How to make Vorbis popular

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Mon Jan 14 04:48:22 PST 2002

On 2002-01-13, volsung at asu.edu wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
>
> > > But again, jar is a single program.  That's
> > > the difference between unix and windows, on unix people use more
> > > advanced formats because they expect that the needed tools will be
> > > installed on the target machines; on windows you can't expect people to
> > > have even basic tools like a compiler.
> >
> > gzip -d  decompresses, just like gunzip.  bzip2 -d as well.
>
> In fact, on my system, gzip and gunzip ARE the same program.  They are hard
> linked to the same inode, and therefore identical.  I presume the program just
> checks its own name to decide what default action to perform.

Sure.  But cvs, tar and gzip are different programs.  That's natural for
unix people but psycologically problematic for windows people.  That
annoyingly limits the design of windows tools.  I would use a thousand
separate tools on my windows machine (if it will cope ;) but I can't
expect the people to whom I send the files to have them.  If jar would be
supported on unix, and the format would be documented, I would probably
still use it.  And if I don't stop writing off-topic by myself soon,
somebody please shut my mouth ;)

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)