[vorbis] Win32 commandline discid utility?

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.net
Sun Jan 13 16:45:35 PST 2002

I'm in the process of re-encoding lots of albums with rc3.  This isn't too
hard because my computer lab at school has 24 machines which I can all get
ripping/encoding in parallel.  Machines are Win95.  I'm currently using EAC
(www.exactaudiocopy.de) to do clean rips (unfortunately a GUI interface), a
cygwin port of normalize (http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~cvaill/normalize/),
oggenc, curl, and several batch files and perl scripts to automate the
process as much as possible.

The only thing I can't figure out how to automate is getting the CD info
(album, artist... err... performer ;) and track names).  Internet access to
those machines is proxied, and EAC can't get the freedb info through a proxy
(I don't think).  Plus, the GUI interface is a bummer (can't be automated
with perl).  And even if I could get EAC talking to freedb through the proxy,
I don't think I want to because I use the artist and album titles to
determine where to upload the tracks in a later step and would rather get
them from a file than have to parse filenames.

Does anyone know of a command-line utility for Win9x machines that can
compute the cddb/freedb disc-id for a disc in the local drive?  It doesn't
have to look up anything; I can write the discid to a file and then query the
server later when I upload the tracks to my jukebox (which runs linux and has
unproxied internet access).

On a related note, is there a Windows port of cdparanoia or really *any*
command-line CD ripper for Win9x I can script?

Of course, even with having to use the GUI interface for ripping and manually
naming the tracks I averaged right around 4 minutes per CD the other day to
do an error-free rip, normalize and -q 4 encode of 62 whole albums.  Which
ain't bad....

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
"It is not possible to be 'incidentally a Christian'. The fact of