[vorbis] Re: UTF8, vorbiscomment, oggenc, and 'vcedit.c'

Glenn Maynard g_ogg at zewt.org
Sun Jan 13 02:10:30 PST 2002

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 11:56:11AM +0200, Beni Cherniavksy wrote:
> Working around the normal option-passing of the brain-dead OS...  That's
> the route DJGPP took on DOS (all apps support response files (@file)
> and also a some other way, system() automatically uses them if the
> called app is a DJGPP program too).

I don't think we need this; at least, nothing more than -f.  I've made
some sense of how it works.

> I guess cygwin did something like this around windows too.  They surely
> have better posix support than winNT ;) and probably they support
> unix-styled locale interfaces sanely.  Does anybody know how they support
> it?  Compiling for cygwin will probably let it work transparently with
> other cygwin apps.  Maybe that would be less pain (at least for oggenc /
> vorbiscomment)?

We should make sure vcedit and the encoding tools make Windows apps (at
least GUI ones) easy to deal with, at least for encodings.  They should
handle conversion from the local character set to UTF-8 in a portable
way, so programmers of individual editors don't have to do this
themselves (and maybe getting it wrong.)

--
Glenn Maynard