Bitrate managment WRT multiplexing (was Re: [vorbis] How to make Vorbis popular)

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Sun Jan 13 01:47:51 PST 2002

On 2002-01-11, Jack Moffitt wrote:

> > Will 1.0 finally include bitrate "peeling"?
>
> As has been said before, _tools_ for peeling will be post-1.0, though I
> believe RC3 makes peelable files now (I think this is how the bitrate
> management works internally).

Bitrate management as it is now will work nicely for people encoding a
file for immediate streaming but it would become sub-optimal the moment
one multiplexes the file with something else (e.g. a tarkin movie or the
metadata stream if it will get fat (if it will get created ;)).  For
streaming multiplexed files, where one can't assume encoding of all parts
is done at the same moment, one still needs to encode by quality and then
peel, doesn't one.  So this means that when separate peeling utils will
become implemented, builtin bitrate management will get deprecated, won't
it?

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)