[vorbis] How to make Vorbis popular

Hongl Lai hongli at telekabel.nl
Sat Jan 12 09:35:23 PST 2002

On Sat, 2002-01-12 at 23:11, Peter Schuller wrote:

> > Well I do agree with him. ;-)
> > This is also why DivX 4.0 is gaining more and more market share, dispite
> > the dirty things Project Mayo/DivXNetworks did.
>
> What dirty things? Are you referring to DivX ;-) or something concerning
> DivX 4/OpenDivX itself? If the latter, I'd like to know what :)

The DivX 4/OpenDivX thing. It still surprise me that so little people
know about what happened.

Basically, Project Mayo started the OpenDivX project, then after a while
they deceived the OpenDivX volunteer developers, closed the CVS, closed
the mailing list, killed the OpenDivX project, and stole their code and
released their own, proprietary, closed source DivX 4.0 codec.
Yet nobody cares; DivX 4.0 wins more and more market share every day.
People still continue to support them, even after I told them what
happened. *sight*

I don't see much hope anymore. Project Mayo is still pretending as if
OpenDivX is still alive and in development.
The OpenDivX fork, XviD, doesn't make much progress at all.
Other open source video codecs are either too slow, too unstable,
produce too bad quality, or are still in development.