[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Glenn Maynard g_ogg at zewt.org
Thu Jan 10 23:49:49 PST 2002

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 10:48:30PM -0800, Dan Hollis wrote:
> But you can't get it back reliably. :-(
>
> See: http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/unicode-symbols.html

Yes, Tomohiro is the one that told me round-trip compatibility is
guaranteed.

Here's a solution I've brought up on linux-utf8.  Nobody has come forward
with any reasons why it's a Really Bad Idea, so I'll bring it up here.

Pick a conversion table.  (Not arbitrarily, but pick one.)  Include, in
the source, a converter that uses this table.  (It doesn't necessarily
have to include full tables for the Han region, since those are
completely standardized.)

Say "use this conversion table when converting between Unicode and XXX
for use within Ogg data."  Say (and this is extremely important) "if
conversions for these characters are standardized, these conversion
tables are deprecated."  (If that happens, then a simple tool can be
provided to update already-encoded data; just cross reference the tables.)

Do this only for independent encodings; if EUC-JP is a subset of JIS
(random example; I don't know off-hand if it is), there's no need to do
it for EUC-JP.

This does mean more work up-front (which I'm quite willing to help with.) The
end result is much simpler tags.  (This would apply to any UTF-8 data,
actually, not just tags.)

I believe this is a clean solution--or as clean as there can be,
at least.

(There's obviously more to be said, but I'll leave it at this for a
moment to give people a chance to respond.)

--
Glenn Maynard