[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Wed Jan 9 12:29:10 PST 2002

> > What we should do is just rewrite oggenc and vorbiscomment to do
everything
> > in UNICODE-16.
>
> Sounds risky. Most Win32 system calls that take or return strings in
> Unicode form are implemented only on NT/2000/XP, not in Windows 9x/ME.

The only system call we need is GetCommandLineW() (either explicitly or
indirectly via wmain), which is implemented on Windows9x/Me. Whether or not
it works is a different question. Care to do some tests for me? I only have
NT convenient here.

> IIRC, Microsoft's Internet libraries include some UTF-8 string APIs.

A complete text search of my copy of the documentation (which, admittedly,
may not be complete) turns up a small handful of functions, all of which are
marked 'NT only' or Windows 2000 only'.

> If
> those are general-purpose enough (as opposed to dedicated URL-processing
> functions), then you might be able to write an abstraction layer that on
> Win32 uses those calls, and on other platforms does whatever is
> appropriate there. That would be nicer than going by way of UCS-2.

How do we get command-line parameters in UTF8 without first getting the
command line from windows in UCS2 format? As far as I can tell from the
documentation, the only two options are ANSI code page or UCS2.

Peter Harris