[vorbis] tool for listening tests

ff123 miyaguch at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 8 20:17:18 PST 2002

James Chapman wrote:

 > Not sure about the MP3 decoder - you'd have to ask the author of
 > the bass library about that. I know there's a wide variation between
 > the different encoders, but is there any real difference (in terms of
 > sound quality) between the various decoders?

There are various issues in mp3 decoders, including the ability to play
VBR, offsets, bugs (like the infamous 100 Hz bug), and clipping off the
end.  Some mp3 decoders have been so badly implemented as to affect the
sound quality.  See David Robinson's excellent site:

http://www.mp3decoders.org/

ff123