[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Tue Jan 8 01:50:11 PST 2002

On 2002-01-07, Glenn Maynard wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 03:38:04PM +0200, Beni Cherniavksy wrote:
> > Another idea is to say "players should render the first value they are
> > able to render (because they don't have all fonts)" and place
> > transliterations of values after the original values.
>
> This isn't compatible with multiple tags, though.  It's a tricky one to
> fix, and I don't think we should bother.  Let's start talking about
> metadata and do it right.

Sure, it isn't, I was talking of e.g. showing the title in the player
window, where most players can anyway show only one.  An option to see/set
all tags should still be provided.

> > BTW, there is use even for multiple TITLEs!  I have perfomances of a song
> > that has 3 names by which it's recognized, and a bunch of songs with a two
> > names.  This typically happens when the lyricist/poet gives a certain
> > title but the people rename it to something more obvious to them (usually
> > the first line :).  Also I have translations of hebrew songs into english
>
> I agree.
>
> > and french.  Some translate the words exactly, some quite freely and some
> > replace the words with completle unrelated ones.  In the first case I
> > would just like to put the english/french translations of the hebrew title
> > (e.g. if I give this file to somebody not speaking hebrew); in the second
> > and especially the third, the english/french title is very important; in
> > the third case I might even want to add a hebrew translation of the new
> > title (especially since it's in french which I don't speak ;-).
>
> I understand what you're getting at, though exactly what you'd like to
> do is a little confusing.  This sounds like metadata again, of course.

Right.  I just want to say that the tags handle it well enough for human
interpretation and to show that defining some tags as singeletons in
Jonathan's standard is not very useful.

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)