[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Glenn Maynard g_ogg at zewt.org
Mon Jan 7 01:46:25 PST 2002

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 10:51:26PM -0800, Dan Hollis wrote:
> unicode is fine for *INTERNAL* representation, eg inside a kernel at a low
> level. as long as you realize that once converted to unicode points, you
> will *forever* lose critical information about the glyphs. it is a one-way
> conversion, like md5 hash.

If you know what language the glyphs are in, you can display it correctly.
(According to everything I've read; if this isn't true, please point me at
some documentation.)  HTML's way of doing this would appear to work
well: http://zewt.org/~glenn/test.html shows the characters as
http://www.cs.ruu.nl/~otfried/Mule/unihan.html shows they should be.

This is why I originally suggested storing the language of tags; my
suggestion has changed to leaving it where it is, and fixing this up in
the metadata stream, where we'd be able to store things like that much
more cleanly; this is because the tag format is frozen.

If we were going to make an incompatible change, I'd much rather see something
like that done, than RFC2047.  I think neither are possible anymore; I believe
the physical structure of the tags have been committed to.  (Which is
why I made a compromise suggestion: encode a single language in its own
tag.)

--
Glenn Maynard