[vorbis] RC3 Tagging/Encoding and Winamp answer

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Sun Jan 6 05:16:07 PST 2002

On 2002-01-02, fungus wrote:

> Monty wrote:
>

> > RMS still doesn't get 'perceived volume' even.  There's an algorithm
> > called ReplayGain (www.replaygain.org) that normalizes perceived
> > volume and prevents output clipping (a scourge of all lossy codecs).
> > It's not an 'official' part of Vorbis, at least not yet, but I think
> > that at minimum we're going to push adoption of this particular
> > technique, or something alot like it.  It solves a number of common
> > problems, makes people happy, is simple to implement and all the
> > details are public.
> >
> How will you deal with albums which are encoded
> as separate tracks but the tracks are continuous.
> You can't change the volume level between tracks.

ReplayGain can do this too: it records 2 gain adjustment values, one
computed over this single file and one computed over the whole CD.  Using
the first makes all files sound the same, using the second makes all CDs
sound the same, while preserving the difference between individual tracks.
The later is also intended to be human-editable (while for the first it's
always OK to re-compute it from the file) in order to over-ride the
obscure cases where the CD method doesn't get it right.

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)
Happy new 2 (mod 100).