[vorbis] "Quality" vs. "bitrate"

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Sun Jan 6 03:19:17 PST 2002

On 2002-01-04, Craig Dickson wrote:

> fungus wrote:
>
> > So, no "target bitrate" setting anywhere in the program,
> > just "quality" and "maximum bitrate" settings.
>
> I like that. So -b should be eliminated, and you use -q with -M
> to set an upper limit.

How about changing the OggDrop bitarte menu to set the maximum instead of
the average.  This would also solve the problem of all people looking for
128 automatically - they would get smaller files!  It should be combined
of course with encouragement to use qaulity (like the great dialog
somewone suggested that puts bitrate selection under "disable quality
management" (I would say "optimisation" instead)).

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)
Happy new 2 (mod 100).