[vorbis] RC3?

Craig Dickson crdic at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 21:13:18 PST 2002

Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Geoff Shang wrote:
> > I use oggenc under linux myself, but I would personally want at least
> > some rough indicator of bitrate in there if I were using oggdrop.
>
> People who do network audio streaming are definitely going to be
> interested in bitrate.

People who do network audio streaming, or otherwise want any serious
control over the encoding process, can always use oggenc. If I were
running an Internet streaming radio station, I'd probably set up some
scripts where anytime I drop a .wav file into a particular directory, it
gets encoded automatically and appended to the queue for streaming.

I always figured oggdrop was for the "I can't handle command lines"
crowd, who probably also can't or don't want to be bothered with too
many options. At the same time, it certainly wouldn't hurt if oggdrop
had an "advanced configuration" dialog where you could set some basic
options (like choosing between -q N and -b N).

Craig