[vorbis] Ogg Vorbis Quality Analisis (+ bug) (+ misc)

Gian-Carlo Pascutto gcp at sjeng.org
Wed Jan 16 10:07:14 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "AGS" <sound_AT_sinderman.com at spamm.off>
To: <vorbis at xiph.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 6:22 PM
Subject: [vorbis] Ogg Vorbis Quality Analisis (+ bug) (+ misc)

> by the blue lines.

Hmm, you mention you couldn't hear any difference even
at -q0 with that file, so it could also be that Ogg can
encode it perfectly with a minimal amount of bits :)

> 1) RC3 files can be peeled. Is peelability going to further improved?

I'm confused about this. I thought RC3 was supposed to be peelable,
but there was a mail from Monty a few hours ago claiming they
were not.

As far as I understand, peeling is equal to encoding at a lower
bitrate. i.e. no quality loss.

> A common messurement of CD (and others) quality should be used.
> EAQUAL? Eventhough it is prune to errors, it is independent :), and as an
> average comparison sould be quiet secure.

EAQUAL is principally flawed for doing comparisons between different
codecs. There was a long (7 pages) and heated thread about this on HA. Link:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=712&perpage=2
5&pagenumber=1

--
GCP