[vorbis] Ogg compared to MPC and AAC

Gian-Carlo Pascutto gcp at sjeng.org
Wed Jan 16 09:56:04 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Flowers" <jsflowers at earthlink.net>
To: <vorbis at xiph.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 6:40 PM
Subject: [vorbis] Ogg compared to MPC and AAC

> audio formats I never knew about, such as FLAK.

That's FLAC :)

http://flac.sourceforge.net

> Well, today I have become
> aware of two other formats I hadn't heard of before: MPC and AAC. Can
anyone
> tell me what they think of these formats in comparison to Ogg Vorbis?

I'll refer you to http://www.hydrogenaudio.org, which pretty much
exclusively deals with these kind of issues ;)

I personally wouldn't consider AAC. Heavily patented, not better than
Ogg either, not very well supported. MPC/MusePack is also patented, but
somewhat more free. It's (IMHO) the highest quality codec out there at
high bitrates, and also very fast. Of course, Ogg is going to overtake
it sooner or later :)

--
GCP