[vorbis] RC3: I'm impressed

fungus meditvr at teleline.es
Tue Jan 15 14:38:46 PST 2002

Jeff Flowers wrote:

>>>Hello, portability. Welcome, speed increase.
>>>
>>Goodbye maintainability.
>>

> I agree. It is probably for the best if Ogg Vorbis keeps

 > its code as non-cpu specific as possible. Besides, if
 > someone is doesn't like it, they can

> always modify the source code or write their own.

of code in assembler to get a 5% increase over compiler
produced code. This time is obviously better spent cleaning
up code, trying to find new algorithms and data structures,
etc.

Sometimes though, a dozen lines of assembly can make a
*HUGE* difference. Visual C++ 6.0 optimization is still
for the original Pentium chips, it's never heard of a
Pentium II/II/IV or Athlons. All these chips have new
instruction sets for vector operations and the only
way to use them at the moment is via assembly language.

--
<\___/>
/ O O \