[vorbis] RC2 better than RC3 ???

Wilson defiler at null.net
Mon Jan 14 11:05:45 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Manu/NVO" <ereisser at wanadoo.fr>
To: <vorbis at xiph.org>
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 1:39 PM
Subject: [vorbis] RC2 better than RC3 ???

> quality :
> you already get quality with all other formats at medium/high bitrates
> Ogg gives quality at very low bitrates, and THIS is the most
> important to my eyes !!

Clearly, the benchmark for any audio format is the quality/bitrate ratio.
Other formats already offer audio quality exceeding that of CD. (FLAC, for
example).. The whole point of a lossless format is to cram acceptable audio
quality into the narrowest possible stream. That being said, for me the main
advantage of Ogg over MP3 is that Ogg is free software, and MP3 is not. The
true gapless playback doesn't hurt either.