[vorbis] Re: UTF8, vorbiscomment, oggenc, and 'vcedit.c'

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Mon Jan 14 04:21:37 PST 2002

On 2002-01-13, Victoria E. Lease wrote:

> [Nathan I. Sharfi]
> > Nope, assuming I don't have nor want cygwin on my machine.

I didn't quite intend to propose making _only_ a cygwin program (although
that's what I wrote - sorry).  Of course there should be some support for
win32.  I suggest that maybe with cygwin you can get greater support
than possible at all on plain windows - when you call it from
other cygwin programs (e.g. bash)!

> By way of note, a cygwin version would not require a full
> installation of cygwin to be useful. It could be distributed as two
> files: the executable itself, and cygwin1.dll. I haven't played with
> cygwin's linker recently, so cygwin1.dll might even be unnecessary,
> assuming that it can be statically linked into the executable...

I think it still needs a separate .dll.  Even so, it's not a problem.  I
don't know how nicely cygwin programs can play with non-cygwin programs.
As opposed to djgpp, cygwin didn't do (AFAIK) a great job of ingration
into the existing environment.  Instead they created a pure unix
playground.  For example cygwin programs don't understand `D:\path\file',
you must mount the drives, e.g. `/cygdrive/d/path/file'.  So you can't
call them from batch files normally, etc.  However among themeselves they
work much nicer then would be possible if the win/dos conventions were
supported (quoting problems, etc.).

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)