[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Sun Jan 13 15:49:29 PST 2002

On Monday 14 January 2002 06:32, Nathan I. Sharfi wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, John Morton wrote:
> > On Sunday 13 January 2002 08:12, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> > > I didn't explain clearly enough. BOTH get displayed.  But one gets
> > > displayed more prominently (first in sorting order).  Anyhow, winamp
> > > and xmms let you specify a format string like printf() to tell it
> > > exactly what to display.  Using ENSEMBLE or PERFORMER doesn't lock you
> > > into anything.
> >
> > Why not simply use multiple PERFORMER fields and place whatever is the
> > most important performer first?
> >
> > John
>
> It gets annoying when the obvious ready-made data structures for holding
> tag information like python dictionaries don't care much about sorting
> order.

I'm pretty sure pyvorbis placed tags into a dictionary of lists, last I
looked.

> Not to mention that not everyone will agree on who's the most important
> performer...

Using separate tags for separate roles does give you the luxury of deciding
what role is most important yourself, assuming those fields end up being
singletons most of the time.

You could, as I said, accomplish the same result by including the role in
brackets after the name of the performer, and write your own plugin for
winamp/xmms/whatever to parse that information out and order the display
appropriately.

That does have the disadvantage of not being an offical standard in any way,
and the code being slightly more complex, but I don't see those as being
big obstacles.

John