[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Sun Jan 13 00:40:57 PST 2002

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 05:47:44PM +1300, John Morton wrote:
>On Sunday 13 January 2002 08:12, Jonathan Walther wrote:
>> I didn't explain clearly enough. BOTH get displayed.  But one gets
>> displayed more prominently (first in sorting order).  Anyhow, winamp and
>> xmms let you specify a format string like printf() to tell it exactly
>> what to display.  Using ENSEMBLE or PERFORMER doesn't lock you into
>> anything.
>
>Why not simply use multiple PERFORMER fields and place whatever is the most
>important performer first?

For the same reason we don't merge the CONDUCTOR into the PERFORMER tag.
To "know what he is listening to" a Classical music listener
generally wants to know whether he is listening to an group, or
a person.  With the two items in different tags he can program his
player to treat them differently, while standard default settings can
treat them the same.  Exactly the same as will happen with the conductor
tag.

Jonathan