[vorbis] Win32 All-UTF8 oggenc.exe

Glenn Maynard g_ogg at zewt.org
Sat Jan 12 18:13:16 PST 2002

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 09:04:27PM -0500, Karol Pietrzak wrote:
> On 11 Jan 2002, Peter Harris wrote:
>
> > I have modified oggenc to use UTF-8 directly translated from
> > Windows UCS2. What does this mean? Simple. oggenc.exe now works
> > with _everything_. Even characters that show up as '?' on the
> > command line are recovered intact, and show up just fine in
> > WinAMP (eg: The Euro symbol.)
>
> What does the official 'oggenc' do, exactly?  Doesn't it already
> do UTF-8?  In both Linux and Windows, I've put special
> characters in my Ogg files, and it seems to me the tags in Ogg
> files are already in UTF-8.  That's because doing an 'ogginfo'
> on an ogg file in Linux shows weird characters, which are
> displayed correctly if I change the character set to ISO-8859-1
> (pipe output to 'recode u8...lat1').
>
> So, to sum it up, I have two questions:
> 1. Is there any way to get ISO-8859-1 characters in ogg files?
> 2. What character set is used in tags (in ogg files)?  Is it OS
> dependent?

Er, like you said, they're UTF-8.  The issue is handling conversions
from the user's charset (locale or codepage) to UTF-8, and Windows
weirdness.  You don't put ISO-8859-1 in directly.

ogginfo should convert from UTF-8 to your locale's charset automatically.
(Not *does*, just should.)

--
Glenn Maynard