[vorbis] How to make Vorbis popular

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Fri Jan 11 19:18:39 PST 2002

Hongl Lai (hongli at telekabel.nl) wrote:

> They might ignore your ogg and search for MP3 anyway.

Sure, they might.  But then again, they might not.  You should try it
some time and see. :-)

dwarf:/var/log/apache$ grep \\.ogg greycat.yi.org-access.log | wc -l
   2942
dwarf:/var/log/apache$ grep \\.mp3 greycat.yi.org-access.log | wc -l
   5714

I think that's a rather respectable result.  On the other hand,

dwarf:/var/log/apache$ grep \\.ogg greycat.yi.org-access.log.0 | wc -l
   2633
dwarf:/var/log/apache$ grep \\.mp3 greycat.yi.org-access.log.0 | wc -l
  30746

So it all depends on the day, or the phase of the moon, or something.

Another perspective:

dwarf:/var/log/apache$ grep \\.ogg greycat.yi.org-access.log.0 | awk '{t += $NF} END {print t}'
1743184521
dwarf:/var/log/apache$ grep \\.mp3 greycat.yi.org-access.log.0 | awk '{t += $NF} END {print t}'
7.86669e+09

You see, quite often people download files in 50k chunks; I'm not sure
why.  But it seems to occur more often with .mp3 than it does with .ogg;
so the number of *HTTP requests* for .mp3 is artificially inflated;
but the ratio of *bytes of oggs* to bytes of mp3s is higher than the
ratio of HTTP requests (assuming awk didn't overflow or miscalculate due
to lack of precision).

The Ogg numbers are just going to get better and better, as I continue
replacing my MP3 files with freshly ripped and encoded Ogg files.

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |