[vorbis] advocacy

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.net
Fri Jan 11 19:18:01 PST 2002

>> 1) Sound quality vs. file size is very nice.  (I quoted for them that
>> for similar quality, oggs are about 10% smaller. (-q 3 ogg vs 160Kbps
>> mp3))
>
> Only 10? I would have thought it was nearer 50...

Here's my limited test data.  (One whole track!)

WAV ripped with cdparanoia
        No normalization.
All mp3s encoded with BladeEnc 0.94.2
All oggs encoded with oggenc rc3

33,297,308  wav at 44.1 kHz, 16bit, stereo
10,925,105  ogg at quality 10
 5,838,443  ogg at quality 7
 4,780,845  ogg at quality 6
 3,857,689  ogg at quality 5
 3,775,216  mp3 at 160 kbps CBR
 3,062,303  ogg at quality 4.99
 3,019,756  mp3 at 128 kbps CBR
 2,940,897  ogg at quality 4
 2,690,468  ogg at quality 3
 2,292,667  ogg at quality 2
 1,945,478  ogg at quality 1
 1,509,669  mp3 at 64 kbps CBR
 1,505,778  ogg at quality 0

So it seems I was wrong, after all.  The -q 3 ogg is a bit more than 25%
smaller than the 160 Kbps CBR mp3.  I'll have to tell my classes about that.
And surprised that my memory was so bad I'm now encoding several whole albums
at -q 3 and 160 Kbps mp3 for size comparison.

> Don't forget: No gaps between tracks. Mp3 decoders can't
> play two tracks without a gap between them - no good for
> recording albums where there's no breaks between tracks.

Actually, I've never noticed this.  All my mp3s were encoded with BladeEnc
and I was using the xaudio library with a custom player.  Under Windows with
Winamp the gaps were noticable, but under Linux with my player I never heard
any (even playing things like Paul Oakenfold or Dark Side of the Moon).

But I'll mention that, too, since some of my kids may be hearing gaps.

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
"They come to watch me burn."