[vorbis] How to make Vorbis popular

Kai Gallasch kai at adminhell.org
Fri Jan 11 12:58:20 PST 2002

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:48:45 -0800 (PST)
Jonathan Ingram <jonathan_ingram at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Kai Gallasch <kai at adminhell.org> wrote:
> > I strongly disagree with this. For the public the term "piracy" has a
> > strong negative tone - and promoting the use of Vorbis in this context
> > would damage the reputation of "Vorbis" and "Ogg" as superior audio
> > format. Do you really think Iomega - or who ever - would support the
> > "music piracy first choice audio format" for their players?
>
> Of course not - they're certainly not supporting MP3, which is the
current> "music piracy first choice audio format", are they?

O.K. - You've got a point there. But I just wanted to point out that
advocacy for Vorbis should underline positive characteristics like "the
personal freedom to use the software unrestricted" with any data you like.

In the end hardware manufacturers will offer support for .ogg - at least
for the "better" players out there, which have no hardcoded mp3-circuitry
inside them. They will do it if there is demand.

--
..your fortune-cookie for today:
Williams and Holland's Law: