[vorbis] Re: UTF8, vorbiscomment, oggenc, and 'vcedit.c'

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Fri Jan 11 09:27:36 PST 2002

> > Either way, tapping umlaut-u on my German keyboard on the commandline
> > becomes a superscript-n when argv is printf()ed unmodified; tapping the
same
> > key at a fgetc(stdin) produces an umlaut-u when the character is
printf()ed
> > unmodified.
>
> What if you grab the commandline in Unicode, and use _wprintf()?
> (Avoiding whatever conversion is being done to argv.)

umlaut-u in wchar_t *argv[] appears as superscript-n when wprintf()ed
unmodified. (No underscore; wprintf is ANSI/ISO C, not a Microsoft
extention).

I mentioned this a few messages back. Microsoft's wprintf implementation is
essentially worthless.

> For the sake of a simple editor, I think the easiest way is just to
> leave vcedit alone (expect UTF-8), and make sure vcomment moves
> everything directly to UTF-8.  (I don't see any reason to use UCS2
> instead of UTF-8.  Most apps don't want to use *W-ide versions of
> functions in Windows, for 9x compatibility.  If they do, it's just as
> easy to convert from UCS2 to UTF-8 for the calls as it is to convert
> from the codepage encoding.)

Agreed.

> As for people writing programs to operate in the locale/codepage, I'm
> not sure.  I'll think about it.

It's not easy to solve for Windows.

All the ideas I have right now involve warning signs in big blinking lights
in all of the documentation. The main trouble with that is the frequency
with which people actually read documentation (myself included).

Peter Harris