[vorbis] UTF8_LANG: a much better idea

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Thu Jan 10 22:58:36 PST 2002

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> It comes down to this: mark the language of text with U+E0001 LANGUAGE
> TAG, followed by the RFC 3066 language ID (ie. "ja") encoded in
> lowercase ASCII plus 0xE0000.
> There's really nothing needed in the spec, except to 1: recommend its
> use, and 2: define where language tags go out of scope (at the end of
> the tag--that is, language tags shouldn't scope between tags.)
> This also eliminates the major restrictions of UTF8_LANG; you can change
> language if you want, wherever you want.

This seems to be a better solution.

> We could even make vcomment automatically add some of these tags.

I would hope so.

If stock vorbis utils don't handle it, you could hardly blame others for
not doing it either :-P

> If the local encoding is Shift-JIS, we're pretty safe adding the Japanese
> tag.

Local encoding for japanese on Linux is EUC-JP (korean it's EUC-KR).

I don't know about others.

-Dan

--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]