[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Mon Jan 7 15:06:55 PST 2002

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 05:59:36PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
>Are you arguing that it should be allowed because it's easy to support,
>or that it should be allowed because it's optional?  You're switching
>back and forth between these, and they're very different arguments.  If

I'm not switching back and forth at all.  I'm positing both at once.

>Tried?  I use a UTF-8 terminal daily.  (I'm using it now, actually.) I
>frequently get mail (usually spam) in font regions my font, MS Gothic,
>doesn't support, and they show up as boxes: the placeholder entry for this
>font.

Thats what I mean. How is it different to convert an RFC2047 tag into a
string of ? characters?

>Using another font is what Explorer does.  Load
>http://zewt.org/~glenn/test.html with Explorer on a system with both
>Japanese and Chinese support installed, and both characters (which are
>the same in Unicode) will display properly.  All it needs to know is the
>language the text is in.  (That's the best way to do it.  It's also the
>most complicated of these to implement, which is why my terminal doesn't
>do it.  Doing it by embedding multiple encodings is more complicated
>still.)

Can you explain this?  If the same glyph represents different characters
in Chinese, Korean, and Japanese, how is it that Explorer knows which
one the glyph is?  If you can explain that, and it doesn't involve
embedding html, my objections to straight UTF-8 will be withdrawn.

Jonathan