[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Mon Jan 7 02:07:17 PST 2002

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> However, there are other reasons not to do this in the *tag* block.  (It
> boils down to "it doesn't help the real goals", such as those in
> https://reactor-core.org/~djw/ogg-tags.txt.)

If you define "the listener" as a westerner, non-asian, then perhaps you
would be correct.

As I said, I am concerned about support for asian languages (and as an
aside, my russian friend tells me that even russian becomes a real mess in
UTF-8).

In fact what I expect will happen is that everyone is simply going to
ignore the requirement for UTF-8 and they are just going to use their
local encodings instead. It *will* end up being a real mess. This has
happened numerous times with other standards where westerners tried to
force UTF-8. This has already happened with ID3. Don't make the same
mistake.

You can avoid this by explicitly allowing UTF-8 *OR* RFC2047.

> This above logic only applies to a format intended to be comprehensive,
> and the tags are not.

I disagree.

> > Seems incredibly stupid to me to arbitrarily limit a spec simply because
> > you yourself can't see a widepread use for it. That's microsoft-style
> > thinking.
> Rolling up the sleeves, are we?

I just wanted to make sure you were paying attention.

-Dan

--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]