[vorbis] TAG Standard - ENSEMBLE/PERFORMER tags

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Mon Jan 7 01:43:35 PST 2002

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 01:57:51PM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> > I wasn't assuming that we weren't using UTF-8; the question was whether
> > you wanted the Chinese title in actual Chinese glyphs or in a
> > Romanization. I didn't make that clear enough. The advantage of
> > Romanization is that it is at least minimally readable by most computer
> > users around the world. (Of course, then you have the question of which
> > system of Romanization to use; for Chinese, at least, there are
> > several.)
> I agree that a romanization tag is at least worth consideration.  I
> don't think it's worth bothering with which system--people are going to
> use what system they want (there are multiple romanization systems for
> Japanese, and probably all non-Roman alphabets, and if a user is
> romanizing it, he's going to use his preferred system, not what a
> standard they probably didn't read wants.)

"romanization" is pandering to euro-centricity. There are other
systems for other languages. For example, japanese has furigana. Chinese
has its own transliteration system for english words, using chinese
characters. If we are going to support romanization, then we should
support the systems of other languages too.

Stop thinking american/european/western-centric and realize there is more
to languages than romanization.

-Dan

--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]