[vorbis] Slightly off-topic: question about DOS batch files

MARK JAMES HETHERINGTON mark.hetherington at studentmail.newcastle.edu.au
Sun Jan 6 21:58:42 PST 2002

What are you using to get the WAV files in the first place?
Most CD rippers allow you to use a command line compressor.

At 23:15 1/6/2002, you wrote:
>Why not use OggDrop? Going for managed bitrates? Tagging?

        If you really must know (and I don't think it matters) I use oggdrop because I want to encode a batch of files without requiring user intervention between each file, and because I do a lot of tagging.
        Besides, I don't see how oggdrop is going to HELP me encode the entire CD to Ogg Vorbis. It's certainly much less automated than oggenc.

> It isn't necessary to encode the full CD at once, is it? You could do
> well with multiple lines, like:
> oggenc -N "01" -q 4 --artist="Dido" --title="Here With Me" --album="No Angel" -d "2001" -n "%%n %%t.ogg" track01.wav
> oggenc -N "02" -q 4 --artist="Dido" --title="Hunter" --album="No Angel" -d "2001" -n "%%n %%t.ogg" track02.wav

        That's a good idea, but it would increase the size of my batch file tremendously, because then I'd have to specify a pageful (a pageful in the ogg info viewer, not batch file) of comments for EACH track, and that would be much more maintenance than working with a single line.
        It would be wonderful if DOS had some kind of escape character. Nice, simple, and elegant. But I guess those words don't really apply to DOS... (*shrug*)

        Thanks anyway.