[vorbis] Exact nature of RC2 re-encode bug

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sun Jan 6 06:14:16 PST 2002

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Beni Cherniavksy wrote:

> Why would you re-encode vorbis in order create a lower-rate version?  For
> vorbis features the bitrate-peeling capability.  You shouldn't re-encode
> unless you need lower-quality versions today.

Duel rate streaming.  Ices2 has the fascility to re-encode vorbis files on
the fly, and it's here that the problem showed up in the first place.
Peeling will be great once there are tools to support it, but there aren't
yet.  Since Monty confirmed that this was a bug and that it would be fixed
in RC3, I felt the question worth asking.

Geoff.