[vorbis] tags in comment field - why?

Glenn Maynard g_ogg at zewt.org
Fri Jan 4 15:17:11 PST 2002

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 12:04:55PM -0500, Monty wrote:
> The below is not an argument for or against musicbrainz, just
> something to keep in common about using external standards:
>
> Using standards is a good thing, we all agree on that, unless there's
> a specific reason not to.  You've noted in the past that I show
> reluctance about embracing niche, de-facto standards like ReplayGain
> and now, potentially, MusicBrainz.  If we embrace and encourage such a
> standard, basing our own infrastructure and future infrastructure on
> the continued viability of that standard, it's important that we be
> prepared to support that standard *ourselves* should the original
> group maintaining it dissolve.  This could become a significant design
> and development burden, so take it into account.

Another thing to consider is how these other metadata systems handle
streaming.  What additional information is needed in a stream that
normally applies to a whole file?  How would a radio station send a tag
saying that the current song title, etc. no longer apply, since it's back to
talk?  Send a bunch of blank tags?  It's not obvious, and not specified
by most of these.

(I don't expect an answer to these questions, of course; they're just
ones that need to be answered by the metadata system.)

MusicBrainz appears to be redesigning their format, and there's nothing
yet at all in their draft about "extended metadata info".  I've seen
nothing about ReplayGain.

Like someone mentioned, if we do nothing at all then players will
probably start doing something stupid, like laying ID3V2 on top of Oggs.

--
Glenn Maynard