[vorbis] Exact nature of RC2 re-encode bug

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Thu Jan 3 06:06:25 PST 2002

Hi:

I just wanted to know where exactly the problem with re-encoding in RC2
was.  Was it in vorbis' ability to cope well with its own output as input,
or did the first encode produce output that didn't lend itself to
re-encoding?

The difference is important.  If it's the latter, anyone wanting to
re-encode material will have to first encode it with RC3.  I guess what I'm
asking is, will material intended for re-encoding at lower rates etc, need
to be encoded again under RC3 or will material encoded under RC2 perform OK
now?

Geoff.