[vorbis] RC3 Tagging/Encoding and Winamp answer

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Jan 2 17:22:35 PST 2002

> Here's the main reason for my post:  I have figured out how to use
> Audiograbber and oggenc RC3 to get fully tagged ogg files.  However, the
> normalizing options are not advanced enough for me - I use sound forge to
> normalize to an RMS value.

RMS still doesn't get 'perceived volume' even.  There's an algorithm
called ReplayGain (www.replaygain.org) that normalizes perceived
volume and prevents output clipping (a scourge of all lossy codecs).
It's not an 'official' part of Vorbis, at least not yet, but I think
that at minimum we're going to push adoption of this particular
technique, or something alot like it.  It solves a number of common
problems, makes people happy, is simple to implement and all the
details are public.

Monty