[vorbis] RC3?

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Wed Jan 2 17:17:07 PST 2002

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, fungus wrote:

> Most users aren't stupid, if they see the word "quality"
> then they'll go that route.

Well maybe, but I don't think it's obvious that quality directly
corelates with bitrate.  For example, the quality settings in LAME are more
to do with the speed vs performance of the actual encoding of the audio
within the given bitrate, rather than it being an overall measure of
quality that includes bitrate.  And I've got to say, that's what I'd think
quality meant if I wasn't told otherwise.

I use oggenc under linux myself, but I would personally want at least some
rough indicator of bitrate in there if I were using oggdrop.  And no, not
MP3 bitrate, ogg bitrate.  I don't see much point in relating vorbis
quality settings to MP3 bitrates, that just re-enforces the MP3 mindset in
my opinion, a mindset we're trying to discourage.  If this results in
people defaulting to whatever mode 128kbps vorbis is, then so be it - at
least we'll generally get better sounding oggs doing the rounds than the
vast quantities of 128kbps MP3 files out there.

Geoff.