[vorbis] APPLAUD.WAV problems

Nicola Larosa nico at tekNico.net
Sun Feb 17 00:58:17 PST 2002

> That is, 'sounds different when compared to the original
> but still sounds good' is always better, in my book, than
 > 'sounds more like the original, but the artifacts are
> obvious standing by itself.'

I can testify the effectivenes of this approach. If it wouldn't have been
pointed to me, I would have never been able to perceive the difference
between the "-q 4.99" and "-q 5" of applaud.wav .

> need to argue.  I will say though that the majority of users prefer
> lossy stereo coupling (with the compromise that implies) over lossless
> coupling and having fewer bits available to stabilize the high end.

Exactly. That's why I encode everything at "-q 4.99", and applaud.wav be
damned. ;^) BTW, I'm getting an average bitrate around 128kb/s on dozens of
records, and am pleased by that.

--
"I was wondering if there's any kind of definitive nickname for Perl
programmers, the way we call ourselves Pythonistas?" - Aahz Maruch

Nicola Larosa - nico at tekNico.net