[vorbis] OGG lossless?

Bostjan 00 at email.si
Thu Feb 14 09:51:30 PST 2002

<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----- Original Message -----
From: "Graham Mitchell" <mitchell at cs.leander.isd.tenet.edu>
To: <vorbis at xiph.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 6:20 PM
Subject: Re: [vorbis] OGG lossless?
> That makes a lot of sense to me...one program for everything.
No!  No!  No!
Don't you see, that's the Microsoft philosophy!  Instead of lots of simple
single-purpose tools that do their jobs really well and are easily combined,
you have one huge, bloated, buggy, hard-to-maintain, monolithic behemoth
that
tries to do everything at once and ends up doing nothing very well.

I see your point. You are right: that doesn't make sense.

As I said, I don't know much about lossy/lossless compressors internal logic
and I just thought that as OGG discards less and less as it goes towards -q
10, it would  "just go one step further" (easy-to-say but obviously
not-so-easy-to-do) an become lossless.

We just misunderstood each other :)
Cheers,
Bostjan