[vorbis] OGG lossless?

Graham Mitchell mitchell at cs.leander.isd.tenet.edu
Thu Feb 14 09:20:16 PST 2002

>>> Would it be a difficult task to make OGG a lossless compressor at -q 10?
>>> This would be a really nice feature that would make
>>> OGG an "all in one" tool.
>>
>> ...flac would become part of the ogg project..
>>

> That makes a lot of sense to me...one program for everything.

No!  No!  No!

Don't you see, that's the Microsoft philosophy!  Instead of lots of simple
single-purpose tools that do their jobs really well and are easily combined,
you have one huge, bloated, buggy, hard-to-maintain, monolithic behemoth that
tries to do everything at once and ends up doing nothing very well.

All-in-one tools are only the most useable choice for media PLAYERS.

Now, I don't have any problem with FLAC joining the Ogg project, but the
lossy compressor shouldn't deal with flac.

Ideally, here would be the sensible way to do things:

Ogg Vorbis - lossy audio codec
        vorbisenc - command-line utility to encode Ogg Vorbis files
Ogg FLAC - lossless audio codec
        flac - command-line utility to encode FLAC files in Ogg container

ogg123 - command-line player that handles Ogg Vorbis or Ogg FLAC files.

oggenc - frontend that spawns either vorbisenc or flac depending on options.

Really at the moment, oggenc is mis-named because it doesn't merely create
Ogg files, it creates Ogg Vorbis files.  And other programs can create Ogg
files which aren't Vorbis.

I suspect this nomenclature will have to be sorted out before we can sensibly
talk about Ogg Vorbis files vs. Ogg Tarkin (the lossy video codec) vs. Ogg
Flac vs. Ogg WHATEVER.

--
Graham Mitchell
computer science teacher