[vorbis] problem with Vorbis DLL's

Keith Wright kwright at gis.net
Wed Feb 13 21:49:49 PST 2002

> From: "John Lundy" <jlundy at playnet.com>
>
> I'm glad this topic has come up. I wanted to do a dynamic link of
> the ogg DLLs with RipTrax.  Two issues need to be addressed formally
> (by the dev group; I guess) in order to make dynamic linking
> someting other than a hack.

There are a lot more than two reasons that dynamic linking is a hack.

> First, the header files do not have any structure member alignment
> specified (or bounding) the structures.  So, if you want to use the
> prebuilt DLLs, you will need to set your whole project's alignment
> to be 8 bytes.  Better would be a set of #pragma statements bounding
> the structures so that the project can have an independent alignment
> to that required of the DLLs.

"#pragma"?  What the hell is that?  Only if it is included in some
kind of "#ifdef BASTARD_CEE", or you get Ansi to include #pragma
in the C language.

> I had to implement a hacked set of header files to successfully
> integrate a dynamic linkage. Of course, all of this will have to be
> redone when the next version of ogg is released. That is, unless the
> dev team decides to help us users out in this area. :)

Send your changes to the development team, along with an explanation
of why you needed to do them.  They probably won't be accepted
as they stand, because they will totally break on most other
systems, but the information about what you are trying to do
may be helpful.

> Some credit is certainly due to the ogg crew, however.

Damn straight.  Anyone who says otherwise is itch'n for a fight.

> Once I made the header changes and set the alignment to 8 bytes in
> my project, ogg just worked. And worked very well indeed!

Source code is a beautiful thing.

--
     -- Keith Wright  <kwright at free-comp-shop.com>

Programmer in Chief, Free Computer Shop <http://www.free-comp-shop.com>