[vorbis] APPLAUD.WAV problems

Bostjan 00 at email.si
Tue Feb 12 18:18:19 PST 2002

Hi!

I am very pleased with the progress that Ogg is making, expecially after I
read the latest comparision tests on
http://ff123.net/128test/instruct.html
that put OGG on top aside with MPC.

BUT the APPLAUD.WAV test case
( http://lame.sourceforge.net/download/samples/applaud.wav )
still produces **VERY** easily audible high-frequency artifacts when encoded
with OGG RC3 up to q4.9 (!!!). Things are **MUCH** better from q5.0 on.

I also noticed that Gian-Carlo's "Garf Tuned" oggencgt2
( http://sjeng.sourceforge.net/ftp/vorbis/oggencgt2.exe )  performs MUCH
better, producing q5-like results at lower bitrates:
- Oggenc RC3 with -q4.9...........168 kbps   -> bad artifacts
- Garf Tuned RC2 with -b 128......171 kbps   -> good quality
- Oggenc RC3 with -q5...........205 kbps   -> good quality

Is it possible for the developers of the OGG project to improve the
up-to-q5-performance of the OGG encoder the way Gian-Carlo did?

Is it right now better to use the official RC3 release or the "Garf tuned"
RC2?

Thanks for any input.
Bostjan

PS: Thanks to all contributors to this magnificent project.