[vorbis] Seeking in a saved stream; or, Why isn't that sucker valid?

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Mon Feb 11 14:24:55 PST 2002

At 02:04 PM 2/11/02 -0700, you wrote:
>On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Stephen Commiskey wrote:
>
>> I hope that this is the appropriate venue for this question.  If it's not, let me know and I'll take it elsewhere (perhaps vorbis-dev).
>>
>> Saved streams are great - it lets this norteamericano get his fill of BBC
>> Radio 1's Essential Mix.  Unfortunately, saved streams aren't seekable.
>> Running ogginfo on the stream data gives:
>
>> stream_integrity=fail
>

>This line in the ogginfo output concerns me.  It means that there are actually
>damaged Ogg packets in the stream.  How are you saving this stream to disk?

Nope. ogginfo is wrong, there's no problem here (once something goes even
slightly wrong, ogginfo tends to produce garbage output - if it says that
everything is ok, it generally is, but if it doesn't, it might be anyway).

In this case, it means "missing packets/pages" - which is expected, because
there will almost always be holes between headers and body in something
you grab from a stream. A hole is NOT an error, though there are reasons
to want ogginfo to report holes.

>I think there is a problem here, but not with seeking, exactly.  If the file
>is saved on disk, then it should be seekable.  It is possible that vorbisfile
>is not acting correctly when given damaged streams of the sort you have.

I'd say vorbisfile should work here - if I can produce a similar stream
I'll see if I can fix any problems that turn up. The 'problems' reported
by ogginfo are not causing this.

Michael