[vorbis] compressed audio tutorial - 2nd draft

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.net
Thu Feb 7 18:14:35 PST 2002

I've updated the "Introduction to compressed audio with Vorbis" tutorial
based on the many good corrections and suggestions I got here.

Changes were:

    fixed range of 16bit samples (-32768 to 32767 rather than 0 to 65535)
    added sentence on why 44.1KHz was chosen for CDs
    added Sony's name as developer of CD format
    wrong word ("Which" -> "While")
    reworked CBR/ABR/VBR section with corrected info
    added section on "Why Vorbis?"
        sound quality is high
        patent-free and open source
        nice features (tagging, peelable, more than two channels)
    added paragraph on ABX
    mentioned that lossless stereo coupling kicks in at -q 5
    put "transcoding" in quotes since it's a misnomer

Please give it another read, especially those of you with keen eyes.  I'd
like to get it finalized and up on vorbis.com soon.

http://cs.leander.isd.tenet.edu/~mitchell/vorbis_intro.html

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
"Come thou no more for ransom, gentle herald.  They shall have none, I