[vorbis] Quality & Tags

David K. Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Sat Feb 2 20:23:29 PST 2002

On 2 Feb 2002 at 15:02, Moritz Grimm wrote:

> You're right, this is the only place where one can totally rely on
> that info. Anyways, I am sure that outside our homes this information
> would be neither totally useless nor would it be absolutely reliable.
> What we want is to figure out the cost-benefit ratio - cost in terms
> of confusing people, being useless, taking space etc and benefit
> meaning all what i and others wrote in many previous mails. Nothing is
> absolutely reliable, haven't you ever got three or more tunes from
> Audiogalaxy, all with different titles, that were the same song? Those
> are extreme situations, and if we went after these, no tag should be a
> standard.

Yes, I was pulling a lot of tricks out of my hat to make these arguments.  But, if an ogg is taked
with the wrong track title (I've seen this - the tag has the name of another song by the same
artist), that's not going to damage my perception of vorbis as an audio compression codec.

> I think that this information might be worth including. A situation
> like the one you discribed is really unlikely, and I'd think that
> Xiphophorus can do something against someone making a bad rip-off of
> libvorbis and still calling it like the original thing. Anyways ... my
> head is now full of the word "unlikely". :)

Yes, the information is useful, I just have reservations about how and where it's being placed.  If
libvorbis could store it's encoding parameters, that would be just about perfect.  Argh, lousy
backward compatability. :)

Besides, that still doesn't answer the build environment question.

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- XNS  : =David K Gasaway
-:-:- Email: dave at gasaway.org