[vorbis] Where's the tool to do .ogg bitrate "peeling"?

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Tue Feb 12 21:43:25 PST 2002

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Tom Wadzinski wrote:

> Ok, so there aren't peeling tools, due to feature prioritization, but
> are there at least any reference examples of the peeling process in
> action?  For instance, has anyone "manually" peeled a file, so to speak,
> and been able to examine the quality of, say, a ~192 kbps encoded wav
> peeled to an 80 kbps file compared to the same wav encoded to 80kbps?

Funny you should ask.  Segher wrote a "stupid" peeler in about 30 minutes that
peeled any file down to 80 kbps earlier in the week.  I didn't listen to the
quality, but was reputed to be fairly bad.  The peeler doesn't think too hard
about which data to throw away, so the quality suffers a great deal.  A
smarter peeler would be able to take the actual packet contents into
consideration when deciding how much data to throw away in each packet.

If Segher is reading this thread, I'll let him jump in here and explain
further.  :)

> Also, I vaguely recall a post that suggested that current RC3 files can
> be peeled, but that there is much "peelable file creation optimization"
> that can be done in the encoder to improve on the resulting peeled file
> quality.  Am I crazy, or is that the case?  Even if I am off about that,

Yes, it is the case.  I've been told by Segher that the encoder could do
more to make peelers happy.

---
Stan Seibert